When I was a kid, I lived in an A-frame house that my Dad had built, and the whole front of it was glass, with huge sliding glass doors. Someday I’ll find a picture to scan. My mom still lives in the house, in fact, but the front has been redone with cedar shingles and regular old french doors. So sliding glass doors make me a little nostalgic, but they also remind of things that never work like they’re supposed to.
I’ve wanted to take our shower doors down since before we moved in. We put it off for a long time, but then we started getting more serious about redoing the master bath AND, at about the same time, the doors started to act even moodier and less inclined to….slide than before.
So taking down the doors seemed like a natural first step in the big bathroom makeover.
I remember last year when we finally did the first thing for the nursery–refinishing the dresser that had been Dave’s as a kid–I felt this big sense of relief and like now that we’d started there’d be no stopping us. So. Let’s hope that’s true in the bathroom, too!
This was one of those projects that looked like it was going to be really simple, and then…it turned out to actually be really simple, too! Love it when that happens.
Here’s the door before. It was really bright and sunny when I took the pictures, and the result is that the door doesn’t look nearly as bad in the pictures as it did in real life, I think. Trust me: it needed to go.
The shower door was held on with a few screws on either side:
Dave started taking things apart, and had the whole door down almost before I could whip the camera out (I was baby wrangling and photographing for this part o things):
Once the screws were out, Dave went to work with an exacto knife on the caulk still holding the track to the tile:
It had, so far as we know, been there since the house was built in the mid 80’s, but it came loose no problem.
Once the track was all off, he took care of the residual caulk with a paint scraper:
We do need to regrout some of the areas that were covered up by the track before, but, other than that, the whole thing went down without incident. There are still the screw holes left….we’re still debating, but I think we’re going to leave them there since they won’t show behind the shower curtain and since we’re worried that pulling out the little anchor ring thingies (I think there’s probably a more official term for those) would damage the tile. Eventually we’d like to expand and redo the whole shower, so we’re not really concerned with perfection at this stage.
Then I scrubbed the shower like it had never been scrubbed before because 1. it really needed it and 2. I was going to take pictures of it. I even mixed up a fancy grout cleaning solution (a paste made from 3 parts baking soda and 1 part bleach) and scrubbed at the grout with a toothbrush.
This was a little discouraging while it was going on, because it became so clear that our grout is never going to be completely white and sparkling clean again. But then I stood back to look at it, and it’s so much better than before that I decided to be happy about it.
While I was scrubbing grout, Dave and Abe went to Target to get a shower curtain liner and rod. I’m pretty sure I have the real shower curtain picked out, but I haven’t ordered it yet. But for now, we can take showers without wrestling with a yucky shower door!